...where you will find "quality" Beef, Pork, Chicken, Fresh Fish, Cheese, Deli Meats, Salads, Sauces and Spices.
Our "Weekly Specials" will be posted Sunday morning, for the upcoming week.
In our "Did You Know" section there are links to the nutritional values, cuts, preparation, recipes or anything else you would like to know about beef, poultry or pork.
So come on in and browse for a while! - John Schinkel and Staff
Recipe of the Week
Beef Blade Roast with Port Cheddar and Carmelized Onions
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) butter
- 1 kg (2.2 lb) beef blade roast
- 500 ml (2 cups) minced onion
- 500 ml (2 cups) beef stock
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme or 2 to 5 ml (1/2 to 1 tsp.) dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and ground pepper
- 200 g (7 oz) Old Cheddar cheese, grated
- 15 ml (1 tbsp.) cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- In a large skillet, heat oil over high heat and melt butter. Sear the blade roast evenly on both sides, and then move it to a plate.
- In the skillet, brown the onions over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until they begin to caramelize.
- Add stock and herbs. Season to taste.
- Bring to a boil, and then return beef to the skillet. Cover, and cook in the oven at 150°C (300°F) for at least 3 hours.
- Remove skillet from oven, and move the roast to a plate. Boil the juices over high heat to reduce them. Coat the cheese with cornstarch and melt in the cooking juices. Allow it to simmer, making a gravy.
- Meanwhile, divide the beef into portions, removing the bones and excess fat. Add the roast to the gravy, making sure the portions are well coated. Serve immediately with steamed vegetables.
- Serve with your choice of wine.
Submitted by: Jill E.